Key messages from the Safety Alert on October 19, 2013
This is a very serious concern for University RCMP and UBC Campus Security. It is critical that our community take additional safety measures as well:
- Don’t walk alone at night. Travel with friends and colleagues to get to and from your destination, look out for each other and don’t let your friends and colleagues walk alone.
- Use the AMS Safewalk Program (604-822-5355) to have someone accompany you from 8pm to 2am. Put this number in your phone.
- Use the Translink Community Shuttle, which operates on a fixed route and stops near residence (www.transportation.ubc.ca).
- Know the location of UBC Blue Phones around campus to connect directly with UBC Campus Security.
- If you find yourself alone late at night on campus after these other services have stopped running for the evening, please call Campus Security at 604-822-2222 (put this number in your phone) or use a UBC Blue Phone and a security patrol will accompany you to your campus destination.
Trust your instincts, if you feel that you may be in danger or witness suspicious activity, please call 9-1-1 immediately. It is important to contact the RCMP right away, as time is critical to this investigation.
In the three reported incidents, the women screamed for help and resisted, which scared off the assailant. For additional information and resources on personal safety, please visit:http://security.ubc.ca/content/personal-security.
You can follow the University RCMP on twitter (@University_RCMP) to receive the most current bulletins and safety information.