Dear Department members,
Below are messages from UBC VP Research & International & Faculty of Medicine on important changes to grant submission procedures & internal deadline, effective January 1 2014.
Key points about the changes:
1. Internal deadlines & late processing fee: Effective January 1 2014, application must be received by the Department for Department approval seven (7) business days in advance of the sponsor deadline. This is to ensure you meet UBC ORS & Faculty of Medicine deadline. Faculty of Medicine will charge you (the applicant) $ 100 processing fee if your application is received after the Faculty’s deadline.
2. Form: Effective January 1 2014, all grant applications and contracts must be accompanied by a Research Project Information Form (RPIF) (attached). This form replaces Faculty of Medicine cover sheets.
SENT ON BEHALF OF DR. HOWARD FELDMAN, EXECUTIVE ASSOCIATE DEAN, RESEARCH
The message below from Dr. Helen Burt details important changes to the grant application process, effective January 1st, 2014.
To meet the ORS internal deadline, the UBC Point Grey Dean’s Office deadline for applications to be submitted for Faculty approval is four (4) business days in advance of the sponsor deadline. Applications received after the internal deadline will be assessed a $100 processing fee, charged to the applicant.
For major grant competitions (eg. CIHR Operating Grant), internal deadlines may be earlier. It will be important for applicants to be vigilant in observing internal deadlines for these busy grant competitions.
Please note that in most cases, applicants have the option of working on their research proposals up to the deadline date; however, we expect that the basic application details, critical letters of support, budgets, and signatures are completed by the internal deadline.
Please cascade this information widely within your department/centre/organization.
Howard Feldman MD FRCP (C)
Executive Associate Dean, Research
Professor, Division of Neurology
Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia
From: Woo, Fred
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:24 AM
Subject: Reminder: Indirect Cost of Research and Research Project Information Form (Effective January 1, 2014)
Dear Deans/Principals, Department Heads, and Associate Deans of Research,
The following is sent on behalf of Dr. Helen Burt with a request to please broadly circulate to your colleagues.
This is a reminder that effective January 1st, 2014, all grant applications and contracts must be accompanied by a Research Project Information Form (RPIF) (attached). This form replaces all Faculty-based cover sheets. Background information on these changes, including the link to the RPIF, can be found on the following VPRI website under the section on “Indirect Costs of Research”:
Key points to note for grant applications:
- The RPIF should accompany the front page(s) of the grant application form, together with the budget and summary of the proposal pages.
- Applications must be submitted to ORS at least two full working days prior to the sponsor competition deadline to ensure they can be reviewed.
- The RPIF and application pages noted above can be submitted to ORS electronically.
- Indirect costs do not need to be included in non-partnered tri-council grant applications (e.g. CIHR Operating, NSERC Discovery and SSHRC Insight grants).
- For partnered or matching Tri-council agency programs (e.g. SSHRC Partnership Grants, NSERC Strategic Grants), indirect costs do not need to be applied to the tri-council agency portion of the funds requested. However, Indirect Costs are applied to the partner funding sources at the standard rate of 25% (on cash contributions only). ICRs are not applied to in-kind support.
Helen M. Burt, Ph.D
Associate Vice President Research
The University of British Columbia
Phone 604 822 1467 | Fax 604 822 6295
Room 224 Old Administration Building
6328 Memorial Road | Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z2