In this week’s issue:
- The March 2015 CIHR Transitional Operating Grant deadline to receive application packages for Faculty approval is Friday, February 20th. Full application procedures & timelines are available at https://mednet.med.ubc.ca/Research/GrantApplications/CIHR/Pages/CIHR-Operating-Grant.aspx.
- Please see attached memorandum from Dr. Sally Thorne, Chair, Tributes Committee, Vancouver Senate, and Dr. Peter Arthur, Chair, Learning and Research Committee, Okanagan Senate, regarding a Call for Centennial Honorary Degree nominations. Please see attached for frequently asked questions.
- Weston Brain Institute – Transformational Research 2015: Program Information Session
- UBC & Free University of Berlin (FUB) – Funding of Joint Initiatives (new round)
- Canadian Liver Foundation – Research Grant Program
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research – Funding Opportunity to Evaluate Influenza Prevention Policy
Awards and Honours:
- UBC Faculty of Medicine Continuing Professional Development – Awards for Innovation & Service in CPD/CME (final reminder)
- Providence Health Care Research Institute – 2015 Research and Mission Award
- UBC – President’s Awards for Staff
- Ochsner Clinic Foundation – Alton Ochsner Award Relating Smoking and Disease
- UBC Faculty of Medicine Continuing Professional Development – Advanced Cancers Care Workshop (Kamloops)
- UBC Faculty of Medicine Continuing Professional Development – For Interior Health Family Physicians – Survey: Don’t Manage HIV Patients in Your Practice? We Want to Hear From You
Information Session: February 3, 2015; 1pm EST
LOI Deadline: March 3, 2015; 2pm EST
The Weston Brain Institute wishes to invite you to an interactive Program Information Session WebEx on February 3rd, 2015 from 1:00-2:00 PM EST for anyone interested in learning more about the Transformational Research 2015 Program.
This session is intended to provide you with comprehensive information on the application process and to provide an opportunity for open questions.
To sign-up for the WebEx and receive the dial in details as well as submit any questions you may have in advance, please follow the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NDWXZ2B
Additional information about the Program can be found at http://westonbraininstitute.ca/funding-opportunities/2015-transformational-research/
UBC & Free University of Berlin (FUB) – Funding of Joint Initiatives
Deadline: March 1, 2015, with additional intakes
The Office of the Vice President Research & International introduced a funding opportunity with the Free University of Berlin (FUB) in 2014. The deadline to submit the applications for the second round of UBC-FUB Joint Fund is now March 1, 2015. Please circulate this information to your faculty.
These funds are available, on a competitive basis, to UBC and Free University of Berlin (FUB) researchers wishing to explore closer collaboration. The joint funding scheme is designed to develop close collaboration and deliver on the intent of the strategic partnership between the institutions. The funding is designed to enable FUB and UBC faculty and researchers to identify complementary strengths, leverage synergy, and promote the development of outstanding future research projects and other academic opportunities.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact Adel El Zaim, Executive Director International, at email@example.com or 604-827-4140.
Deadline: March 31, 2015
The Canadian Liver Foundation is pleased to announce the 2015 research grant competition is now open. Funds are available to award five operating grants and three summer studentships.
- One operating grant may be awarded to a researcher in Canada whose research project is related to hepatitis C;
- One operating grant may be awarded to a researcher in Ontario whose research project is related to liver cancer;
- Three operating grants may be awarded to researchers in Canada whose projects are related to hepatobiliary research.
- Two summer studentships may be awarded to students in British Columbia whose projects are related to hepatobiliary research;
- One summer studentship may be awarded to a student in Atlantic Canada whose project is related to hepatobiliary research.
For application details, please visit the CLF website.
Deadline: April 3, 2015; 4pm PT
MSFHR is requesting applications for a research project that will evaluate the effectiveness of British Columbia’s province-wide influenza prevention policy.
In 2012, BC became the first Canadian province to implement a policy requiring all health care workers to either receive the seasonal influenza vaccine or wear a mask while in patient care areas. Vaccination of health care workers has been shown in other jurisdictions to reduce the risk of transmission to colleagues, patients, and families. With the policy in place, there is now an opportunity to gather empirical evidence of its impact in BC over several flu seasons.
One research team will be selected to receive funding for a period of up to three years. The maximum amount of the award is $360,000.
Please visit the MSFHR website for full details.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Deadline: February 2, 2015
The Faculty of Medicine Award recognizes exemplary and distinguished service to the UBC Faculty of Medicine (UBC FoM) in the areas of Continuing Medical Education/ Continuing Professional Development (CME/CPD). Nominations are invited for the following awards: Innovation in CME/CPD and Distinguished/Outstanding Service to the Realm of CME/CPD. Recipients are given an honorarium of $1,000 and recognized at the Faculty of Medicine Awards Reception.
Providence Health Care Research Institute – 2015 Research and Mission Award
Nomination Deadline: February 23, 2015
PHC Research Institute is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the 2015 Research and Mission Award. This award recognizes a scientist in our organization who demonstrates the mission and values of Providence Health Care while conducting outstanding research. Candidates may be nominated by an individual at PHC and be supported by two PHC staff members.
Past recipients of the award include Dr. Jim Hogg (2005), Dr. Peter Paré (2006), Dr. Julio Montaner (2007), Drs. Adeera Levin and Thomas Kerr (2008), Dr. Jim Russell (2009), Drs. Bruce McManus and Sam Wiseman (2010), Dr. John Webb (2011), Dr. Eric Grafstein (2012), Dr. Evan Wood (2013) and Dr. Richard Harrigan (2014).
This award will be presented at the annual PHCRI Research Day and at the PHC Annual General Meeting.
The nomination deadline is Monday, February 23, 2015.
Please see the attched nomination form for more information, including the process of nomination and criteria. Nomination packages can be submitted to the PHCRI Research Facilitation Office in person or by mail to 10th Floor, 1190 Hornby Street, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Nomination Deadline: March 13, 2015
Deans, Heads and Directors: Do you know UBC staff who make outstanding contributions to UBC? We invite you to recognize them and their achievements by nominating them for the 2015 President’s Service Award for Excellence and President’s Staff Awards (Vancouver campus).
President’s Service Award for Excellence
This award is open to staff across UBC with 10 or more years of service. Up to five recipients are selected each year.
The awards are presented during Graduation ceremonies, and each recipient receives a medal and $5,000.
President’s Staff Awards (Vancouver)
Open to all staff at the Vancouver campus with three or more years of service, the President’s Staff Awards recognize contributions in the following categories:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Enhancing the UBC Experience (individuals or groups may be nominated)
- Global Citizenship
- Emerging Leadership
- Advancing Diversity and Inclusion (individuals or groups may be nominated)
- Up to 12 recipients are selected each year, and recipients receive $2,000.
Please visit http://www.focusonpeople.ubc.ca/awards/presidents-awards-for-staff/ for more information on these awards.
Ochsner Clinic Foundation – Alton Ochsner Award Relating Smoking and Disease
Nomination Deadline: March 31, 2015
Nominations are now being accepted for the 30th annual Alton Ochsner Award Relating Smoking and Disease. All nominations must be made on-line to Ochsner at AOSRA@ochsner.org. The award is named for Doctor Alton Ochsner, the founder of our institution, who was the first to associate smoking with lung cancer. We are deeply gratified that this award has continued to generate attention over the years. We hope that this scholarly activity will remain of strong interest in its goal to conquer the devastating health problems that continue to be related to needless tobacco consumption. We welcome all nominees for any candidate whom you believe should be honored for his or her outstanding scientific achievements relating the role of tobacco consumption to the pathogenesis of disease.
Complete details explaining the criteria for submitting a nomination can be found in the information sheet attached.
Date: March 3 & April 27, 2015
Location: Royal Inland Hospital, Kamloops, BC
Target audience: Family physicians; We also welcome: specialists, allied health professionals and residents
Accreditation: Up to 4.0 Mainpro-C, Mainpro-M1/MOC Section 1
More information: http://ubccpd.ca/course/kamloops-advanced-cancers
Survey Deadline: February 6, 2015
Target audience: Interior Health Family Physicians and Allied Health Care Professionals
Survey Closes: February 6
Be entered in a draw to win one of two iPad mini 3s
More information: http://ubccpd.ca/hiv/interior-health-survey