Working at UBC
- Oct 27: Participate in UBC Thrive: Nov. 2-6
- Oct 23: UBC-V: Get the latest on road closures and construction on campus
- Oct 22: Get your flu shot for free on campus
- Oct 22: UBC-V: Too hot? Too cold? Let Building Operations know
- Oct 21: UBC-V: Bike to Work Week is back: Oct. 26 – Nov. 1
- Oct 21: UBC-V: Free mammography clinic on Nov. 19
- Oct 21: UBC-O: Nominate teaching assistants and tutors for Provost Award
- Oct 21: You’re invited to celebrate Open UBC
- Oct 21: UBC-O: Al King Memorial Trail Opening on Oct. 28
- Oct 21: UBC-O: Introducing the Aspire Learning and Teaching fund
- Oct 16: UBC-O’s Innovation Library opens in Kelowna
- Oct 15: UBC-V staff: You’re invited to Hot Lunch on Oct. 28
- Nov 2: Historical Ownership and Territorial Indivisibility – Survey Evidence from China
- Nov 3: Welcoming Refugees – Connecting Research, Learning and Practice
- Nov 3: Honouring the Strength and Resilience of Refugees
- Nov 4: Social Justice Institute Public Lecture: Dr. Sarah Hunt
- Nov 4: Copyright and Ethics in Scholarly Publishing
- Nov 4: Post-Election Talk: The 2015 Election and the Canadian Party System
- Oct 28: Adam Jones: The Caucasus: People and Politics at the Crossroads
- Oct 29: EESc Physical GEOG Seminar Series: From the Icebox to the Greenhouse
- Nov 2: The W.B. & M.H. Chung Research Day
- Nov 6: Sociology Speaker Series: Memory, National Belonging and the Social Lives of Monuments
Important resources and contacts
Achievements and Recognition
- Dianna Mah-Jones named Outstanding Occupational Therapist of the Year
- Professor Dharma Wijewickreme appointed President-Elect of the Canadian Geotechnical Society
- Dr. Michael Brauer wins the Jerome J. Wesolowski award
- Dr. Jean Shoveller inducted as Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
- UBC-V: Announcing the winners of the 2015 President staff awards
- Grant Miller appointed Director of Planning (Development Services), Campus and Community Planning
- Announcing the new VP, External Relations & Communications
- UBC welcomes Dermot Kelleher as the ninth Dean of the UBC Faculty of Medicine
- Appointments of associate dean and acting director for School of Engineering
- Jennifer Burns appointed Chief Information Officer
Have your say
Whether you have suggestions for new ways of working, or would like to join a faculty and staff survey panel, there are a number of ways you can have your say.
Get to know your community
Find out what your colleagues across UBC are working on – both at UBC and beyond.
Siobhán McPhee’s geographical exploration
It’s probably safe to assume that Siobhán McPhee’s first international move – to Africa at age three – primed her for her current role as professor in the Geography department and Vantage College.
Born in Vancouver, Siobhán spent most of her childhood in Africa and later the Middle East. It was during this time her fascination with geography was born. She moved to Ireland (her mother’s homeland) to study anthropology and economics. That was followed by another stint in the Middle East, where she exchanged the role of student for that of teacher in an Abu Dhabi international school.
She returned to Ireland to complete her first Masters before a research position took her to Bangladesh. It was there she picked up Bangla, her fourth language (she was already fluent in English, Arabic and French), and a keen interest in labour migration. Her next move was to the UK, where she did her second Masters and started her PhD. A scholarship sent her back to Ireland to complete her research, and solidify her position as a thought leader in low-skilled labour migration.
When the role at UBC came up two years ago – a joint position in the Department of Geography and the yet-to-be-opened Vantage College – it was an obvious match.
- An Interview with Dean Marc Parlange – United Way Campaign Hero
- UBC-O professor heading to global conference on sustainable agriculture
- Bake sales raise $1700 for the United Way
Get to know UBC’s senior leadership
Gage Averill is the dean of UBC’s largest Faculty. A career in ethnomusicology earned him a Grammy nomination – before he took the helm of the Faculty of Arts in 2010.
- One-on-one with Sara-Jane Finlay
- One-on-One with Rickey Yada, Professor and Dean of the Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- One-on-One with Susan Porter, Dean and Vice-Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- One-on-One with Deborah Buszard, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Principal of UBC Okanagan
- One-On-One with Arvind Gupta, President & Vice-Chancellor
- One-on-One with John Hepburn, VP Research & International