This is to confirm that the Department of Psychiatry will be hosting an HR 101 Workshop focused on UBC staff employee groups (Management and Professional (M&P), CUPE 2950, and Non-Union Research Assistants/Technicians) on Friday, November 27, 2015 from 11am – 12pm in Room 2N A/B on the second floor of Detwiller Pavilion at UBC Hospital.
The workshop will cover the following topics:
- Things to consider before hiring (job description, salary scale linked to UBC classification, interview questions)
- The interview process (don’t force fit, CUPE 2950 internals versus external applicants, reference checks)
- Orientation and on-boarding
- Probationary/orientation timelines
- After the probation/orientation period (performance reviews, budgeting for mandatory salary increases)
- What to do when there are performance concerns (beginning steps)
- What to do when there are attendance concerns (beginning steps)
- Terminating employees (general information, reminding supervisors to call me ASAP to discuss, reminder that UBC HR needs to approval termination cases in advance)
- Providing references
- Suggested MOST courses for supervisors to take to develop their skills and time for questions
Please note that this workshop won’t cover administrative HR topics (for example HR paperwork or paperwork processing timelines) and please also note that this workshop will be held in a room without videoconferencing.
I look forward to seeing those who RSVP’d there.
Mary Liu CHRP
Human Resources Manager
Faculty of Medicine | Department of Psychiatry
The University of British Columbia
2255 Wesbrook Mall | Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 2A1
Email firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone 604 822 7315