** The following is being sent on behalf of Trish Pekeles, Director, Financial Operations.
This is regarding the possible disruption should there be a strike or lockout at Canada Post. Please distribute broadly within your portfolios/areas of responsibility.
As labour negotiations between Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) continue, a legal work disruption could occur as early as July 6, 2016. In the event of a labour disruption, Canada Post mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted.
To ensure the best customer service from UBC Financial Operations, we have outlined which services could be interrupted and our recommendations for vendors. We encourage all UBC Finance staff to alert their clients and vendors of alternative payment options (detailed further below).
In the case of a labour disruption:
- UBC uses numerous domestic carriers such as UPS, Fed Ex and Purolator. We recommend using UPS, as it is the most cost effective. International mail and campus mail/cheques moving between departments will not be affected. Visit UBC Campus Mail website for updates.
- Payroll will not be affected. UBC Employees who claim expenses will be paid in the same manner in which their payroll is already set up: either payroll direct deposit or cheque pick-up. For those that do not have direct deposit arranged, we recommend that you do so by filling out the “Payroll Direct Deposit Form” found under the “Payroll” tab on our website.
Recommendation to Vendors
There are three main options for continued payment:
- The best option to receive payments is through Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT). Vendors who receive payments through regular mail are encouraged to set up EFT by filing out the appropriate form: EFT Request Form for Canadian vendors or EFT Request Form for US vendors
- Vendors can arrange to pick up cheques at UBC Financial Operations.
- Before you come, please contact email@example.com to confirm the cheque is ready for pick-up.
- ID and proof of affiliation with the payee company (business card etc.) is required for pick-up.
- We are located on 5th floor of TEF3 – 6190 Agronomy Road V6T 1Z3. Our hours of operation are 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendors who would like to use their own couriers need to provide us with their courier’s name and account number.
We will do our best to serve our clients and vendors in a timely manner. For any questions or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide updates as needed.