More than 450 Clinical Faculty members provide valuable teaching and administrative service to the Department of Psychiatry’s education programs and related activities. A faculty appointment is necessary to teach UBC students.
Please see the Clinical Faculty Affairs Office website for the clinical faculty resource guide, contract updates, teaching resources, clinical faculty events and other information of interest to Clinical Faculty in the UBC Faculty of Medicine.
Initial Clinical Faculty Appointment Package
Required for all initial applications.
1. Clinical Faculty Application Form. Please make sure you identify which specialty Program within Psychiatry you wish to be affiliated with. The default Program is Hospital & Community.
Requested for all initial applications.
2. Signed letter of intent indicating how you plan to contribute to the Department’s education program. For applicants referred by a Health Authority, a letter of introduction from the UBC Regional Associate Dean is acceptable instead.
3. Letter of support from the Medical Director at your hospital. If this is not applicable, then a letter from the UBC Program Director in your specialty is appropriate. To facilitate this, we have provided a template for this letter of support at each rank:
Required for all initial applications requesting the rank of Clinical Assistant Professor or above.
Most initial clinical appointments are at the rank of Clinical Instructor. Anyone seeking an appointment with the intent of applying for research funding will need to apply at the level of Clinical Assistant Professor or above and will need to demonstrate how they meet the criteria for appointment at that level. In addition to the materials mentioned above:
- A typed CV ( UBC CV – Abbreviated for Clinical Faculty Members) is also required, along with
- Teaching evaluations or other evidence of teaching excellence.
Criteria for higher ranks are found in the Policy on Clinical Faculty Appointments below.
Applicants on a Work Permit:
Once your application is approved by the Departmental review committee, we will assist you in the process of securing a work permit for UBC as a secondary employer. This must be obtained before your clinical faculty appointment can take effect. Please contact the HR Manager for more information.
Deadlines and Timing
Initial appointments will be reviewed between September and June. Complete application packages for initial appointments are to be submitted electronically to:
Margaret Koshi, Assistant HR Manager for Faculty Appointments.
If you are applying from a distributed site, please submit your application through the appropriate contact for your site instead and they will forward it to our office.
Island Medical Program: Niobe Getty, email@example.com
Northern Medical Program: Amber Rushton, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lions Gate Hospital: Michelle Snyder, michelle email@example.com
Richmond Hospital: Caroline D’Sa, Caroline.D’Sa@vch.ca
Royal Columbian Hospital: Leila Bailey, firstname.lastname@example.org
Surrey Memorial Hospital: Barbara Gourley, email@example.com
Southern Medical Program & Interior: Donna Russo, firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Paul’s Hospital: Peter Keyes, email@example.com
More than 450 Clinical Faculty members provide valuable teaching and administrative service to the Department of Psychiatry’s education programs and related activities.
Please note that all clinical faculty members must submit an Annual Report to Margaret Koshi, Assistant HR Manager, Faculty Appointments , Department of Psychiatry, Administration Office 2C1-2255 Wesbrook Mall by October 1st of every year.
The following links are provided here to be of assistance to Clinical Faculty within the Department of Psychiatry on matters pertaining to initial appointments, annual reports, reappointments and promotion.
Please see the Clinical Faculty Affairs Office website for the clinical faculty resource guide, contract updates, teaching resources, clinical faculty events, and other information of interest to Clinical Faculty in the UBC Faculty of Medicine.