Copier logon accounts
You need a photocopy account, to login, for copying, printing or scanning. These can be obtained through the Finance Manager. Unless you setup Secure Printing (see below), anybody in your work group (e.g. same copier UserID) will be able to print your print job.
Note: Your Departmental division/program/grant will be invoiced for any printing that you do.
Secure Printing to a Xerox Copier
The ability to print to a Xerox copier depends on the account that you logged onto the computer with.
These instructions explain how to send a print job, that is stored in the copier until you logon to the copier with both your User ID (usually shared between Departmental division/program members) and your temporary passcode.
Note: These directions and images are for a Xerox WorkCentre 7345 and a Windows 7 or 8.1 computer. If you are printing to a different Xerox model or using another version of Windows, there may be small differences.
Initial setup of your computer.
- Click Start, [> Control Panel] > Devices and Printers on your computer.
- Right click on the copier (e.g. "Bldg - shared copier on psytnnnn") that you want to configure, then select Printing Preferences
- On the Paper/Output or Printing Options tab of Printing Preferences, set the Job Type to “Secure Print”
- Enter the same copier passcode as you use for copying (twice) and click OK.
- Click OK in the Properties dialogue window.
- When you send a job to this printer, enter your User ID and your personal passcode.
- In System Preferences, select Printers & Scanners.
- In Printers & Scanners, select (on the left) the Xerox copier that you want to use. Check the "Location" line, to see that you have selected the correct one.
- Click Options & Supplies, then the Options tab.
- Change the Job Storage Module setting to "Installed", then click OK.
- Press the “Copy” button on the touch screen
- Enter your “User ID” (this is your copier logon and may be different from your Secure Print passcode)
- Press the “Job Status” button, on the control panel
- Select your print job from the “Job Status” screen and “Release” from the drop-down list
- Enter your temporary passcode and press “Release Job”
Changing Default Print Settings
The defaults settings of double sided printing (saves paper) and black & white (much cheaper than colour) are passed from the print server, to your computer, when the driver is first installed. Any changes that you make will “stick”, unless Psychiatry IT changes the name of the printer or you delete the printer and it automatically re-installs at logon.
To make your customization, click “Start”, then type and select “Devices and Printers”. Right click the shared copier (e.g. “Det – shared copier”) and select “Printing preferences”. You can make your change (e.g. single sided), then use “Saved Settings > Save As”, to save your customization.
If you want more than one customization, please ask Psychiatry IT to install the printer multiple times, on your computer. This can be done on just your computer (harder to manage), for everybody or for everybody in a certain group (e.g. Admin).
Printing from a USB stick
You can copy PDF, TIFF and XPS files to USB memory, plug it into the copier and print them. Most programs/applications have the option to save in one of these three formats.
- Plug your USB memory stick into the copiers front panel.
- Select “Print From USB” on the touch screen.
- Enter your copier code and press the “OK” button.
- Select the file that you want to print.
- Make custom print job settings (e.g. double sided or quantity).
- Press the green Start button, to print.
- Log off and remove your USB memory stick.