Dear Faculty – I am interested in learning whether other Faculty may be interested in forming/joining “The Lucid Book Club” – a book club that is:
– intended for members of our UBC Dept of Psychiatry Clinical/GFT Faculty
– held (approx) monthly on an early weekday evening
– faciltated by Ramon Kubicek, a writer, and artist, with over 25 years university/college teaching experience in literature, film studies, and art,
– associated with wine and cheese in comfortable surroundings
– and – most importantly of all – a forum to talk about books with strong psychological themes that feature characters who are struggling with some form of addiction or mental illness
Potential books for discussion might include titles such as
Clare Allan, POPPY SHAKESPEARE
Sebastian Barry, THE SECRET SCRIPTURE
Aimee Bender, THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE;
Teju Cole, OPEN CITY.
Mark Haddon, THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT -TIME
Russell Hoban, TURTLE DIARY
Denis Johnson, JESUS’ SON
Jonathan Lethem, MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN
Ian McEwen, ENDURING LOVE
Haruki Murakami, KAFKA ON THE SHORE
Heather O’Neill, LULLABIES FOR LITLE .
Let me know if you’re interested by return email to Harry.Karlinsky@vch.ca . All ideas/feedback appreciated!
If enough interest is present, I would hope we could begin our lucid discussions this Fall.
Cheers, Harry Karlinsky