Subject: March 1, 2013 CIHR Open Operating Grant Competition – Support for Researchers
We are sending this email to all researchers who may be submitting a new application/renewal/resubmission to the March 1st, 2013 CIHR Open Operating Grant Competition.
The following are useful resources available to help you prepare your application:
- Grant Development
- Internal Review
- CIHR Open Operating Grant Information Session – Wednesday, November 28 from 9 A.M. to 12 P.M. at UBC Point Grey – http://research.ubc.ca/civicrm/event/info?id=69&reset=1
*Faculty who engage both Grant Development and Internal Review typically enjoy better success rates.*
Please see below for details.
Grant Development: provides assistance with organization, writing and presentation of grant applications.
What are the ADVANTAGES of using Grant Development (GD)?
1) We will help organize your research ideas and provide substantive editing of your proposal.
2) We will help you develop manageable timelines to prepare the numerous application components and provide helpful tips on proposal preparation.
3) Reduces rush and stress to submit an outstanding application by the competition deadline.
Our goal is to help increase the competitiveness of your proposal in the rigorous CIHR review process.
The onus is on the researcher to register and submit all of the required documents by the deadlines outlined in the attached timelines. Researchers who fail to meet the requirements may be ineligible to receive GD.
Why is GD strict on imposing deadlines and requirements?
a) To enhance quality of service for researchers who are able to meet our requirements;
b) To focus our energies where the impact will be greatest (e.g., new faculty submissions and highly ranked resubmissions); and
c) To manage limited resources in a transparent, realistic and sustainable way.
Register early for GD. The deadline is January 7th, 2013 (see attached PDF).
- Please contact:
- UBC, Point Grey: Elizabeth Cheu
Tel: 604-822-2327 Email: email@example.com
Grant Development – CFRI only
(Please note the deadlines and attached timelines may not apply.)
CFRI applicants should contact the Research & Technology Development Office as soon as possible to discuss proposal development/review. Contacts include:
- Dr. Dawn McArthur, Head, Research & Technology Development; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Tamara English, Senior Research Development Facilitator; email@example.com
Internal Review: provides peer review by fellow investigators of the scientific content of proposals.
Contact Christy McTait (firstname.lastname@example.org; 604-827-5615) in the SPARC Office.
You may find the following workshop useful and valuable. Below are details about and link to the CIHR Operating Grant Information Session and online registration.
“Strategies for Writing a Successful CIHR Operating Grant”
Co-hosted by SPARC and the Faculty of Medicine
- Wednesday, November 28 from 9 A.M. to 12 P.M. at UBC Point Grey campus – Operating Grant Information Session (location TBC)
- Note: A similar workshop will be held at VGH on Tuesday, November 27 from 1 to 3 P.M. Registration details TBC
Who should attend?
- Faculty researchers planning to submit applications to the March 1, 2013 CIHR Open Operating Grant competition, including:
- New faculty
- New-to-CIHR faculty (e.g., SSHRC researchers considering a migration to CIHR)
- Faculty interested in a CIHR Operating Grant and/or New Investigator refresher
- Grant facilitators
- Grant writers
- Other research support staff
- Dr. Janice Eng, UBC’s Delegate to the CIHR and CIHR/Health Research Coordinator, will present strategies to help give your Operating Grant the competitive edge
- Christy McTait, SPARC, and Dr. Elizabeth Cheu, Faculty of Medicine, will review internal resources and requirements to facilitate the grant development and submission process
Please be advised that this event is essentially a repeat of the May 24, 2012 session.
To register for the November 28 CIHR Operating Grant Information session:
- Go to http://research.ubc.ca/civicrm/event/info?id=69&reset=1
and click on the grey “Register Now” button at the bottom of the page.
- For questions regarding this workshop:
- Contact Christy McTait at 604-827-5615 or email@example.com
Elizabeth Cheu, Ph.D.
Manager, Research Grant Development | Medicine | Dean’s Office, Research
The University of British Columbia | Point Grey, Woodward Instructional Resource Centre
317- 2194 Health Sciences Mall | Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z3
Phone 604 822 2327 | Fax 604 822 6061