This message is being sent directly to all faculty and staff on behalf of Dr. David Farrar, Provost and Vice-President Academic.
July 3, 2014
To: All members of the Faculty of Medicine – faculty, staff and students
Copy: Brent Cameron and Ken Werker, Boyden search consultants
From: David H. Farrar, Provost and Vice-President Academic
Re: Establishment of the President’s Advisory Committee for the Selection of a new Dean of the Faculty of Medicine
Further to my memo of April 24, I am pleased to advise that the President’s Advisory Committee for the selection of a new Dean of the Faculty of Medicine has been established with the following membership, consisting of elected and appointed positions, per UBC Policy #21, “Appointment of Deans and Principals”:
- Dr. Michael Coughtrie, Dean, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Dr. Allison Eddy, Professor and Dept. Head, Dept. of Pediatrics
- Dr. Daniel Goldowitz, Professor, Medical Genetics and interim Director, Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics
- Ms. Amy Hall, Graduate Student
- Dr. Darlene Hammell, Assistant Dean Student Affairs, Island Medical Program
- Dr. Judy Illes, Professor, Dept. of Neurology
- Dr. Allan Jones, Regional Associate Dean Interior
- Ms. Shanda Jordan Gaetz, Executive Director, Faculty Affairs
- Ms. Elisa Kharazi, Undergraduate Student
- Dr. Braedon McDonald, Internal Medicine Resident
- Dr. William Miller, Associate Dean, Health Professions, and Professor, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Dr. Jon Stoessl, Professor and Head, Dept. of Neurology
- Ms. Kate Carr, and Ms. Pamela Moffett, Office of the Provost and Vice-President Academic (co-secretaries)
The Advisory Committee will meet as soon as possible to begin its task. Search consultants, Brent Cameron and Ken Werker of Boyden search firm have begun their consultations to familiarize themselves with the key opportunities and challenges ahead for the Faculty, as well as the ideal traits and competencies of the new Dean and the experience base a new Dean should bring.
With regard to the position of Vice-Provost Health, now a distinct and separate role from the position of Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, I will begin a reappointment process in the fall per UBC Policy #24, “Extension of Appointments for Designated Senior Academic Administrators.
You are invited to provide input on the above and any suggestions of individuals or universities at which the committee should take a particular look. Please submit your comments to Brent Cameron at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ken Werker at email@example.com.
I shall be pleased to update the members of the Faculty as the search progresses. Information will soon be placed on the Vice-President Academic’s website (www.vpacademic.ubc.ca) and linked with the Faculty’s website.
Please let me know if you have any comments or questions through Pamela Moffett at firstname.lastname@example.org.