- UBC professor named Fulbright Scholar
- UBC alum named valedictorian at Canada’s Next36 Venture Day
- UBC presents at SIGGRAPH 2014 in Vancouver
- New Copyright at UBC website
UBC professor of economics W. Craig Riddell has been selected to be a Fulbright Visiting Research Chair at the University of California in Santa Barbara for the 2014-15 academic year. Riddell is the Royal Bank Faculty Research Professor in the Vancouver School of Economics at UBC and academic director of the Canadian Labour Market and Skills Research Network. His current research focuses on education, skills formation, immigration, unemployment and inequality. More information on the Fulbright Canada website.
Related topics: W. Craig Riddell
UBC alumnus Tagg Jefferson (BASc ’12 IGEN) was named the Next36 Valedictorian and received the Outstanding Venture award at the Next36 Venture Day on August 12. Jefferson was honoured for his work on GridCure, a project he co-founded.
Venture Day is the annual start-up showcase that marks the culmination of an eight-month program designed to launch new businesses and develop a group of Canada’s most promising young entrepreneurs. The group is mentored by top business leaders and faculty and receive up to $65,000 from venture capitalists for their ventures. Read more here.
Computer graphics researchers from the UBC Department of Computer Science presented seven papers at SIGGRAPH 2014. SIGGRAPH is the premier conference in the field of computer graphics and is being held in Vancouver from August 10 to 14. Vancouver is the only city outside of the United States to host this conference. More information here.
The Scholarly Communications and Copyright Office (SCCO) has launched a new and improved Copyright at UBC website. Highlights include:
• A new information architecture
• New guides and resources targeted specifically at instructors, students and staff
• Revised and expanded copyright FAQs
• A site-wide Creative Commons licence
• An extensive listing of copyright workshops for the fall 2014 term
Feedback on the new site can be given to email@example.com.