The Physician Health Program of BC is looking for a part-time psychiatrist who is interested in supporting and promoting the mental health of physicians across the province.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Physician Health Psychiatrist will have the following responsibilities:
1. To provide leadership in improving the mental health care of physicians in British Columbia by liaising with colleagues in the psychiatric community;
2. To provide preliminary psychiatric assessments of physicians who have contacted the PHP and have been screened by our intake physicians as needing an occupational mental health assessments; and
3. To support family physicians who are treating physician-patients with mental health issues in a shared-care model.
Work will be carried out at the offices of the Program, and over the phone or video link as necessary. The work context is an excellent multi-disciplinary team, consisting of two clinical coordinators and three other physicians of varying backgrounds. The time commitments envisioned is 0.2 FTE (2 half-days per week). Compensation will be sessional, and will reflect the mixture of general and forensic/occupational psychiatric work that this position entails.
The Physician Health Psychiatrist will also be responsible for:
• Conducting preliminary psychiatric assessments.
• Conducting periodic reassessments of occupational mental health in a shared-care relationship with primary care providers who are serving physician-patients with mental health issues.
• Leading the Program’s efforts to form positive relationships with the psychiatry and mental health community in BC
Qualifications & Experience:
• Current licensure with The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia as a specialist in Psychiatry.
• Minimum ten years of practice experience.
• Experience in treating physicians as patients is desirable.
• Fellowship or experience in addiction psychiatry, forensic psychiatry or occupational psychiatry is desirable.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
• Clinical Skills: Has excellent clinical judgment and knowledge. Has understanding of the challenges of managing physicians as patients.
• Healthcare Resources: Maintains current knowledge of services and resources. Has current and detailed knowledge of the Health Practitioners Act, and excellent knowledge of appropriate privacy standards.
• Communication: Ability to engage physicians as patients with empathy. Ability to communicate effectively with other health care professionals, as well as other involved agencies. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally within a multidisciplinary team environment
• Documentation: Can produce complete and concise reports to an excellent standard.
• Coordination: Ability to prioritize requests and be flexible so urgent needs can be addressed.
• Works with colleagues at the PHP not only to do clinical work, but to help the PHP staff improve the way we assist our physician-clients. Exercises good professional judgment, and clarifies difficult interpretations of policies and processes.
• Relationships: Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with a range of stakeholders. Acknowledges the value of teamwork, consistency and transparency of process.
• Presentation: Ability to create and facilitate engaging educational experiences for groups of physicians.
• Computer proficiency required (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail) – please quote reference code “Physician Health Psychiatrist – 1000” in the subject line.
Doctors of BC thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.