If you are having difficulty viewing this email, please click here to view it in your browser
New Employee and Family Assistance Program Provider April 1, 2015
To: All Employees Enrolled in UBC’s Employee and Family Assistance Program
From: UBC Human Resources
We are pleased to announce that the University of British Columbia has retained the services of Shepell as the new provider of our organization’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP). The EFAP is a benefit provided for all eligible faculty, staff and their dependents. The transition to the new provider will take place on April 1, 2015.
Shepell is a leading EFAP service provider and offers a wide range of confidential and voluntary support services to assist you and your family with resolving everyday challenges, complex issues, and everything in between.
The EFAP is completely confidential within the limits of the law*. No one, including your employer, will be informed that you have accessed the service unless you choose to tell them.
You and your eligible dependents can reach Shepell by telephone or First Chat (instant online chat through your computer or mobile device) 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Emergency services can be accessed immediately and non-emergency services, such as in-person counselling, can be scheduled at a convenient time and location.
EFAP services are provided within the monthly premium that is paid by you (remains at $1.20/month) and UBC . There are no additional charges.
*Shepell is required by law to disclose what would otherwise be confidential information when there is a risk of serious injury to oneself or others, there is suspicion of child abuse as defined by provincial legislation, or when served with a properly executed court order (i.e. subpoena).
What does your EFAP include?
- Short-Term Professional Counselling for personal and emotional issues by a qualified counsellor (Registered Psychologist, Clinical Counsellor or Social Worker). Face –to-face counselling is currently available in multiple languages other than English, including, but not limited to: French, Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, Hindi, Farsi, Spanish, Italian, German and Russian. Telephone counselling is available in over 180 languages through advanced translation services technology provided by Language Line and hearing impaired clients can be served through Telephone Devices for the Deaf (TTY).
- Variety of Counselling Delivery Methods to best suit your communication style including In-Person, Telephonic, Video, E-Counselling (secure email on your computer and mobile device), First Chat (instant online chat with a counsellor on your computer and mobile device), and Specialized Online Programs (self-guided).
EFAP Work-Life Advice Services (Telephone Only)
- Family Support Services connects you with a Family Support Specialist for personalized assistance with family planning, parenting, childcare, eldercare, homecare support and more.
- Legal Support Services provide consultation with professional lawyers to answer legal questions surrounding divorce, custody, adoption, real estate, debt, bankruptcy, landlord/tenant issues, and more. (Note that EFAP does not provide legal advice around labour or workplace issues).
- Financial Support Services provide consultation with financial professionals to answer financial questions about budgeting, debt management, tax issues, and more.
- Nutritional Services offer consultation with Registered Dieticians on any nutritional matter or concern.
- Naturopathic Services provide consultation with Naturopathic Doctors on choices related to physiology, diet, lifestyle, and well-being, including illness prevention strategies.
- Health Coaching by Registered Nurses can provide information and advice, coordination and support; and coaching on any health risk or concern.
EFAP Online Services (Self-Directed)
- Specialized Counselling and Online Programs to assist with career challenges, managing stress, tobacco cessation, managing separation and divorce, enhancing your relationships, and financial planning.
Your EFAP is available 24/7/365 with simple access
- Visit http://www.hr.ubc.ca/benefits/efap/ or click on the brochure to learn more about EFAP and how to access services.
The EFAP benefit for UBC faculty, staff and their dependents reflects our continuing commitment to your well-being and privacy. Please take a moment to review the new brochure and share the information with your family. We encourage you to use the EFAP anytime you need it. Call Shepell at 1-800-387-4765, or visit workhealthlife.com and sign up for their online services and resources using Employer name “University of British Columbia”.
Download Shepell’s myEAP app today!
What happens if I am currently in counselling with Homewood Health?
If you or a member of your family is currently seeing a counsellor through our previous EFAP provider (Homewood Health), you may continue to see that counsellor until resolution. If you would like to begin counselling or initiate any of the above support services, please contact Shepell for more information starting April 1, 2015.
For Additional Information
If you have any questions, please contact:
Vancouver Campus Okanagan Campus
Stephanie Mah, Benefits Specialist Tracey Hawthorn, WRAP Coordinator
Tel: (604) 822-6823 Tel: (250) 827-8183
UBC Human Resources