The UBC community is invited to comment on the proposed amendment of Policy #26 (Designation of Acting Administrative Heads of Unit).
Approved in 1978 and never amended, Policy #26 Acting Administrators in Cases of Absence, provides mechanisms for appointing acting administrative officers during temporary and extended absences of the incumbents.
In recent years, the University has approved several Board policies pertaining to the extension of appointment for certain senior positions, which all contain provisions for pro tem appointments during vacancies of the positions and provisions for acting appointments during temporary absences. The provisions do not accurately reflect current practices for temporary absences.
The proposed amendment of Policy #26 establishes a single, consistent mechanism for designating acting administrative heads of unit in cases of temporary absences. The consequential amendments of the Extension Policies will eliminate what would then be redundant provision pertaining to temporary absences. However, the Extension Policies would continue to retain provisions for pro tem appointments. The Proposed Amendment of Policy #26 would not address pro tem appointments.
The key proposed amendments to Policy #26 are:
- replacement of the undefined term “administrative officer” with the more commonly used term Administrative Head of Unit;
- creation of a uniform and efficient process for the designation of acting Administrative Heads of Unit for temporary absences, applicable to all Administrative Heads of Unit (other than the President);
- addition of procedural requirements for the designation to increase transparency; and
- establishment of responsibilities for designates who take on acting positions.
Accordingly, the Policy Review Committee recommends consequential amendments of the following policies:
- Policy #22 – Appointment and Extension of Appointments for Heads of Academic Units
- Policy #23 – Extension of Appointments for Deans and Principals
- Policy #24 – Extension of Appointments for Designated Senior Academic Administrators
- Policy #34 – Appointment and Extension of Appointment of Administrative Vice-Presidents
- Policy #43 – Extension of Appointments for Registrar and Librarians
In the preparation of the consequential amendment of Policy #34, it was noted that a defined term found on the Schedule to Policy #34 contains an inadvertent error. Accordingly, the proposed amendment of Policy #34 also recommends a correction to the definition of Administrative Vice-President.
The proposed amendment of Policy #26 and the consequential amendments of Policies #22, #23, #24, #34 and #43 are now being published and all members of the University community are encouraged to provide their comments. Please submit feedback to the Office of the University Counsel at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2016.