The Year 1 Clinical Skills Office are in need of tutors to teach the Clinical Skills Component of MEDD 412. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in teaching:
- March 21
- March 28
- April 4
The Psychiatric Clinical Skills component of MEDD 412 consists of three sessions all running from 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM with a group of 6 students. Tutors will receive $90 an hour for teaching plus an additional $90 per session for finding patients for the 2nd and 3rd sessions as well as an additional $90 per session for case analysis.
The first session will be held and the Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Center, 2nd floor clinical skills rooms. The students will be given the opportunity to practice and observe psychiatric interviewing using standardized patients. Two cases have been developed to facilitate the interview and conducting a mental status examination. In the remaining sessions students will practice and observe the psychiatric interview and mental status examination on psychiatric wards with in or out patients.
The purpose of these sessions is for the student to:
- Continue the process of enhancing interviewing skills begun in the Introduction to Communication Skills sessions during the MEDD 411 course (first term) Sept to Dec. 2016.
- Participate in an initial psychiatric interview
- Recognise common signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Recognise psychiatric symptoms and signs consistent with
- Mood disorder (e.g. depression)
- Thought form, content disorder (e.g. psychotic syndrome)
- Conduct a psychiatric mental status examination
Tutors will be provided learning materials in the form of a tutor guide that outlines all the session objectives and required information.
Clinical Skills at UBC is highly valued by the students and is seen by clinicians as a critical part of this early stage of medical education. One cannot overestimate the importance of these initial patient contacts in the development of our physicians.
Senior Programme Assistant, Year 1 Clinical Skills
MD Undergraduate Education, Faculty of Medicine, UBC
T: (604) 875-4111 x 67407
F: (604) 875-4046
2111-2775 Laurel Street GLDHCC
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9