POLICY #20 (Advertising of Available Employment Positions)
On June 14, 2017, the Board of Governors approved the amendment of Policy #20 (Advertising of Available Employment Positions). Policy #20 was formally called “Advertising of Position Vacancies”.
Policy #20 establishes UBC’s requirements for posting and advertising of available employment positions at UBC. The amendments to Policy #20 update and expand the categories of employment positions that are listed in Policy #20 and that must be advertised in accordance with the Procedures to Policy #20. Advertisements for all other employment positions that may be available at UBC, but are not listed in Policy #20, are optional, but academic and administrative units that elect to advertise those available employment positions must do so in a manner that complies with, at minimum, the following requirements:
- include UBC’s employment equity statement, now called the “University Diversity Statement”, set out in the Procedures to Policy #20;
- comply with the advertising requirements of Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada where it is likely that an available employment position may be successfully filled by a foreign candidate;
- comply with the advertising requirements of any employee group agreements, including collective agreements; and
- comply with Policy #94 (Visual Identity).
Other key components of the amendment to Policy #20 and its associated Procedures are:
- an update to UBC’s employment equity statement, now called the” University Diversity Statement”, to align with current UBC values and aspirations to proactively attract a broad pool of qualified applicants by including diversity as a key criteria in searches;
- an expanded and more comprehensive list of circumstances where the requirement to advertise in accordance with the Procedures to Policy #20 may be waived by the Responsible Executive;
- requirement for annual reports to the Board of Governors regarding the circumstances where the Responsible Executive has waived the advertising requirement;
- updates to the Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada and Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada advertising requirements set out for reference in the Procedures to Policy #20;
- reference to advertising requirements prescribed by the Government of Canada Research Chairs Program set out in the Procedures to Policy #20; and
- changes to the manner in which advertising copy for available employment positions is approved.
Academic or administrative units seeking to recruit or initiate a search for an available employment position should work with their Faculty Relations and Human Resources Advisors to ensure that the availability of an employment position is advertised in a manner that is consistent with the principles for recruitment strategies and advertising requirements set out in Policy #20.
A copy of the amended Policy #20 is available at http://universitycounsel.ubc.ca/files/2017/06/policy20.pdf.