I am writing to invite you to teach Psychiatric Clinical Skills in MEDD 412 to first year medical students in Undergraduate Education with the Faculty of Medicine. I have attached a sign-up sheet that includes the dates and times for each session and can be returned to myself via fax or email (email@example.com).
The Psychiatric Clinical Skills component of MEDD 412 consists of three sessions all running from 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM with a group of 6 students. Sessions will be available from January through to April 2017. Tutors will receive $90 an hour for teaching plus an additional $90 per session for finding patients for the 2nd and 3rd sessions as well as an additional $90 per session for case analysis.
The first session will be held and the Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Center, 2nd floor clinical skills rooms. The students will be given the opportunity to practice and observe psychiatric interviewing using standardized patients. Two cases have been developed to facilitate the interview and conducting a mental status examination. In the remaining sessions students will practice and observe the psychiatric interview and mental status examination on psychiatric wards with in or out patients.
The purpose of these sessions is for the student to:
- Continue the process of enhancing interviewing skills begun in the Introduction to Communication Skills sessions during the MEDD 411 course (first term) Sept to Dec. 2017.
- Participate in an initial psychiatric interview
- Recognise common signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Recognise psychiatric symptoms and signs consistent with
- Mood disorder (e.g. depression)
- Thought form, content disorder (e.g. psychotic syndrome)
- Conduct a psychiatric mental status examination
Tutors will be provided learning materials in the form of a tutor guide that outlines all the session objectives and required information.
Clinical Skills at UBC is highly valued by the students and is seen by clinicians as a critical part of this early stage of medical education. One cannot overestimate the importance of these initial patient contacts in the development of our physicians.
Senior Programme Assistant (Interim)
Year 1 Clinical Skills MD Undergraduate Education
Faculty of Medicine, UBC
T: (604) 875-4111 x 67407
F: (604) 875-4046
2111-2775 Laurel Street GLDHCC
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9