UBC IT has been offering free Skype for Business accounts, to active UBC employees, since Fall 2017. Skype for Business has a 250 person per meeting limit, better security and integrates with Microsoft Office apps. It includes audio/video/phone conferencing, instant messaging, chat rooms, screen sharing, file transferring, availability display and whiteboarding. It is also hosted on UBC servers, so is compliant with FoIPPA.
- UBC members should setup their e-mail in Outlook. This really makes Skype for Business function at its best and it’s essential if you are the host.
- Using headset microphones really helps eliminate the echo/feedback.
- Non-UBC participants can attend meetings either by;
- Installing and using the web app.
- Use the bridge (meet.vc.ubc.ca). There is no 1-800 number for this service, so you may incur long distance charges