In this week’s issue:
The Council of Canadian Academies is inviting each Member Academy to submit candidate names for consideration of panel membership for six new assessment questions that have been submitted to the Council by the Federal Government. At this early stage the compositional guidelines for each question have yet to be developed but this early notice serves to advise that they are seeking multi-disciplinary expertise for all six panels. Please review the attached CCA document which contains the overarching main question for each and advise Allison Hardisty at email@example.com of your interest. Allison will register the names of those interested in each of the six questions and provide a coordinated CAHS response to the CCA.
· Epilepsy Canada – Postdoctoral Research Award
· Canadian Liver Foundation – Operating Grants
Awards and Honours:
· The Canadian Academy of Health Sciences – Call for Fellowship Nominations
Deadline: April 1, 2012
Epilepsy Canada will award one (1) postdoctoral research award (each valued at $37,000 CDN) for the time period July 1, 2012 – June 30, 2013. This award is for one year only; requests for renewal must be done in the form of a complete new application and are dependent upon availability of funds. Applications are invited from qualified applicants who are within three years of the completion of their PhD at the time of application submission. Applications are invited from all areas of epilepsy research including the biomedical, clinical and social sciences.
A complete application will consist of the following:
· a description of the proposed research (including Research Hypothesis, Research Goals, Background, Methods, Proposed Work, Relevance to Epilepsy; 5 pages maximum, 12 pt font, Arial or Times New Roman, single spaced, 0.75 inch borders)
·  curriculum vitae of the applicant (common CV, CIHR format)
·  curriculum vitae of the proposed supervisor (common CV, CIHR format).
Please submit the original plus four (4) copies (total 5 copies) to Epilepsy Canada postmarked or courier-stamped on or before April 1, 2012. Results will be announced on April 23, 2012. The award is to be held at a Canadian university or hospital.
Deadline: April 2, 2012
The CLF is pleased to announce the 2012 research grant competition is now open. Funds are available to award a total of six operating grants. Please note that the CLF is introducing a new submission process effective 2012.
Six operating grants are available, one of which is designated for a new investigator:
· three operating grants may be awarded to researchers in Canada whose projects are related to hepatobiliary research;
· two operating grants may be awarded to researchers in the province of Alberta whose projects are related to hepatobiliary research;
· one operating grant may be awarded to a researcher in Canada whose research project is related to liver cancer.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Deadline: March 23, 2012
Nominations will be adjudicated by the Fellowship Committee in April 2012. New Fellows will be inducted into the Academy at the dinner ceremony on Thursday, September 20, 2012 during the Annual General Meeting, at the Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa. Attached is the formal call for nominations together with the nomination form and a statement to be provided to nominees as a preliminary orientation to the Academy. More information is available via the website linked to above.