Research and Interests
· Geriatric Psychiatry Curricula
· Collaborative care in geriatrics
· Interdisciplinary education in geriatrics
· Personhood in dementia research
· Incapacity assessments (setting standards)
· Dementia education
· Head, Geriatric Psychiatry Program, UBC, 2002-2012
· Head, Division of Community Geriatrics, Department of Family Practice, UBC, 1987-2011
Former Chair of Board, Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry 2004-2008
· Member Royal College of Physician and Surgeons working group on subspecialization in Geriatric Psychiatry 2012- 2015
· Program Director, Geriatric Psychiatry Subspecialty Program, UBC, 2011 to present
· 1994 Award for Clinical Excellence Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre
· 2002 YWCA Woman of Distinction Award for Health, Wellness and Active Living in Vancouver B.C.
· 2009 Recipient of the Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry Outstanding Contribution to Geriatric Psychiatry Award
· 2010 UBC Killam Teaching Prize Award UBC
· 2010 Vancouver Medical Association Primus Inter Pares Award
Donnelly, M.L. Geriatric Assessment and Treatment Units. Canadian Family Physician. 1992;38:2433-2440.
Donnelly, M.L. Financial and Personal Competency Assessments for British Columbia Seniors. BC Medical Journal. 1996;38(9):484-487.
Browne A, Blake M, Donnelly M, Herbert D. On Liberty for the Old. Canadian Journal of Aging. 2002; 21(2):283-293
Guidelines for Elderly Mental Health Care Planning for Best Practices for Health Authorities (2002) Donnelly M., MacCourt P., (Co-Chairs), Ministry of Health Services of British Columbia ,Victoria, Province of British Columbia
Fisk JD, Beattie BL, Donnelly M. Ethical Considerations for Decision Making for Treatment and Research Participation. Alzheimer’s & Dementia. 2007;3:411-417.
Fisk JD, Beattie BL, Donnelly M, Byszewski A, Molnar FJ. Disclosure of the diagnosis of dementia. Alzheimer’s & Dementia. 2007;3:404-410
Donnelly M, Nesbitt K, Dunne J, Lee D, Bradley C, Roodenburg K. Understanding Quality of Life of Ventilator-Dependent Residents on a Long-Term Care Unit: Part II. Canadian Journal of Geriatrics. 2007;10(2):68-71.
CCSMH Late Life Suicide Prevention Toolkit 2008
On Advisory Committee CCSMH website www.ccsmh.ca
O’Connor D, Hall MI, Donnelly M. Assessing Capacity within a Context of Abuse or Neglect. Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect. 2009; 21:156-169.
Horgan S, Le Clair K, Donnelly M, Hinton G, McCourt P, and Krieger-Frost, S. Developing a national consensus on the accessibility needs of older adults with concurrent and chronic, mental and physical health issues: A preliminary framework informing collaborative mental health care planning. Canadian Journal on Aging. 2009; 28(2):97-105