Research and Interests
After obtaining a Bachelor’s+Master’s degree in Psychology, an MD, and a University Specialization in Psychiatry, Dr. Daniel Vigo worked in clinical, research, teaching, and leadership positions across sectors (public hospitals, NGOs, and for-profit organizations). He developed the first Assertive Community Treatment Department in Argentina, a collaboration between Proyecto Suma, King’s College (UK) and Columbia University (US). He obtained his Doctorate at Harvard, where he focused on burden of disease estimation, service improvement, and health systems assessment. He has published peer-reviewed articles, book chapters, and reports on public health, health systems, global mental health, psychiatric epidemiology, psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, and e-mental health. Of note, his contribution to improving the estimation of the disease burden caused by mental illness is among the most impactful papers in the field of mental health in recent years. He is an Assistant Professor at the University of British Columbia, a Lecturer at Harvard Medical School, an Advisor to PAHO and WHO, and a member of the World Mental Health Surveys Initiative, among other organizations of national and global standing. Dr. Vigo leads several projects in BC, Canada, and globally, including on E-mental health for University Students, Needs-Based Planning for Mental and Substance Use Disorder Services, Care Options for People with Severe Substance Use Disorders at Imminent Risk of Death and Disability, Estimating Coverage and Quality of Care for Mental Disorders, and Estimating the Disease Burden of Mental Disorders.
Selected Recent Publications:
• Vigo, D., Patel, V., Becker, A., Bloom, D., Yip, W., Raviola, G., Saxena, S., Kleinman, A.; A Partnership for Transforming Mental Health Globally; Lancet Psychiatry. January 28, 2019
• Vigo, D., Kestel, D., Pendakur, K.,Thornicroft, G., Atun, R; Imbalance between disease burden and government spending on mental, neurological, substance use disorders, and self-harm: health system response in the Americas; Lancet Public Health. Published Online November 13, 2018.
• Vigo, D. on behalf of the Pan-American Health Organization; The burden of mental disorders in the Americas: the 2017 PAHO report on mental, neurological, substance use disorders and suicide; Nov 6 2018. http://iris.paho.org/xmlui/handle/123456789/49578
• Song MJ, Ward J, Choi F, Nikoo M, Frank A, Shams F, Tabi K, Vigo D, Krausz, M; WalkAlong: process evaluation of an online mental health portal using Google Analytics, JMIR Ment Health. 2018 Aug 20;5(3):e50.
• Szmulewicz, A., Angriman, F., Samamé, C., Ferraris, A., Vigo, D., Strejilevich, S. Dopaminergic agents in the treatment of bipolar depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 2017 Jun;135(6):527-538.
• Vigo D, Thornicroft G, Atun R. Estimating the True Global Burden of Mental Illness. Lancet Psychiatry. 2016;3: 171-78.